Friday, November 10, 2006

Mexico and the Gays


Mexico City, my home town, just passed a Civil Union law. I think it is the first of its kind in Latin America, and it makes me terribly proud. Not that I am in touch with the gays in Mexico, but the fact that it is my country, which is thought of as backwards, and third world, made this bold move is impressive.

There are many caveats to the importance of this law, one of them is that Mexico City is ruled by the PRD – a liberal or leftist party in Mexico, but they are mostly populist – and the fact that it has 20 million people and many other problems makes the passing of this law easier. After all it is small minded people in countries where they have nothing to worry about that focus all their energy on banning gays from marrying, sorry Virginia, but I am talking about you. Still even in this climate where a very “progressive” majority rules Mexico City’s legislation, passing such a law is very moving and effective. It also goes to show how even the all powerful and wealthy Church in Mexico could not stop this, I am not sure how much they applied themselves to oppose it, but I am sure they tried. This is a lesson that us liberals in the US, need to learn, we can not be afraid of the evangelical and the Christians, in Mexico they were able to fight and they won. It helps that there is only one Church (I use capitalization because it is a 2000 year old institution that for years and years dominated Latin America).

So there we go, Viva Mexico!

Disclaimer:

I am no legal expert so I think the law only applies to Mexico City, not sure how marriage is regulated in the Mexican legal system. Hence the lack of analysis of the changes it presents or the way it impacts gays in all of Mexico.

4 comments:

Healthy Living said...

that is really interesting. and another thing to note is that mexico is largely a traditionally catholic country, which makes this even more progressive in my mind. i think that people who are against gay marriage are simply mean spirited. i for one will never ever have kids, yet, does that mean that I shouldn't get married? perhaps post menopausal women marrying men should also be outlawed. perhaps in virginia, a marriage license should be preceded by fertility testing.

Anonymous said...

way to go, chilangos :)
I was in awe when I read the news, I could not believe it! it makes a lot of sense... will my hometown Monterrey adopt a similar policy at some point? me doubts *sigh*
-lady in the burbs

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

It's unbelievable eh? The world is slowly seeing the picture, it is really inevitable that gay marriage/ civil unions will be commonplace soon enough. I did some googling and found out that Buenos Aires also has such a law. I did not know individual cities were enacting these things.

Yay Latin/Central America!

Anonymous said...

Be careful w/the Virginia bashing and Christian bashing. Arlington Co. voted down that hateful and counter-productive "marriage amendment" by over 70%. And not all Christians and evangelicals are homophobic. The United Church of Christ supported marriage equality at its General Synod in Atlanta a year or two ago. Now, its individual churches are addressing the issue. God is still speaking. . .