Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Where no gay cowboy has gone before

Last night, I was going to swim at the Y, but I was tired, and thought, what the hell, I can not swim every day. So I worked a little bit later – 6:30 – and then decided to try out the sushi joint in town. I left the office and drove the Red Carpet Inn, an internationally well known chain of establishments that in the case of the Wilkesboro it comes with a Japanese Steakhouse in the premises. I got there at 6:40, the place was empty. I am not sure what the local was empty and like a set out of Golden Girls, ugly dolls in the corners, ugly drawings hung from the walls, and rattan furniture stained a dark brown color made up the décor. The bar was a tiki bar, with Japanese accessories, and the barwoman and sushi person was oriental for sure, but where I can not tell you. Her accent, being a mix of southern drawl and Margaret Cho’s mother gave no clue. She was fast, and she looked like she had managed the place for years and the two clueless white waitresses where no use. They could not even be bothered with either my order or me paying for the food. But eventually, 20 minutes later, I got my sushi and went to my hotel room and had it in peace and quiet. It was good, not out of the world good, but good and I am still here to blog about it so I guess it was clean enough.
So that was my tale of branching out for food in this town, everything else involved fries or ranch dressing and sometimes I am just not in the mood for another salad with dressing on the side, the looks I get are priceless. No cute stories about Walmart or anything this week though. I have been working away and getting so used to the surroundings that I do not see them as exotic or anything like that. Maybe I am becoming Bobby.

No comments: