Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Pride weekend


This Saturday was Pride, and let me tell you it was exhausting. I have to thank a very special someone for putting up with me and all the craziness around the event. By the time the parade started I was feeling a little off and did not really enjoyed myself till the very last 30 minutes, for some reason, even the crowds and the day made no impact on me. On previous years there is always a sense of adrenaline going on, making me think yes I am out and freaking proud but not this year. It was enjoyable, do not get me wrong and lots of fun, but maybe because I was on edge I did not get to enjoy as much. Maybe because I was not carrying a water gun and ended up filling people’s gun and not really doing anything else.

Do not get me wrong, I had a great time and I think this year we made a real good job of generating a good idea and taking that idea into something that was doable. We managed to have pretty much everything ready the day before (a first) and the marching contingent looked unified and I am sure for a lot of people seeing men in Speedos was a great reprieve from all the other groups that march in over decorated S.U.V’s that truly scream everything but fabulous. Watching the groups that came after us, while we cleared the car and rested, I can not help but think, aren’t we supposed to be fabulous, aren’t we supposed to be the trend setters and makers, and then I look around the pride parade and it seems like the more garish and sad, the better. I do think that the parade and the festival need to be rethought, not sure what the answer is, but then again I am no friend of street festivals, so that part of the weekend will never be for me, I know there are people who manage to enjoy it – like the Diplomat – but not me, never have, maybe one of these days my opinion will change, but not any time soon.

The weird thing is I am not sure I should post this, it seems rather petty. Pride is great, one of the high holidays in the calendar. I always look forward to it, it marks the middle of the year and it is such a pagan day that it is great to enjoy. I already foresee some issues for next year, given its proximity to IGLA, not sure who will be able to put anything together, but like the Architect says that is in the pile of “Not my problem”, I am thinking that that is in the pile of “Not my problem, yet”.

Hopefully everyone else had a great time, and enjoyed the weather, Sunday was rather pretty and cool.

4 comments:

◈lunaluna◈ said...

Your blog is very interesting!
Please, send me the photo of your pc desk.
I'll publish on my blog!.
And if you want I can link your blog on mine!

EMAIL: pcdesktop1@gmail.com

PennStateVR6 said...

Chin up, butt out, you'll get through it. Not every pride is glorious.

De nada,
PSUVR6

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Sorry you're feeling down, knitter!

Anonymous said...

As a fellow festival disliker, let me empathize. I just really don't get the attraction of walking around on the hot asphalt blinded by smoke from bad food vendors... And I swear, every year the hicks-from-the-sticks quotient grows. Even the Washington Post in its coverage seemed to agree that nowadays Pride's main purpose is to give a taste of the gay ghetto to those homos who have chosen to live in god-forsaken hinterlands. That's fine 'n' dandy--better a couple hours of ghetto than none, certainly--, but I don't need to partake personally!

As for the parade, I thought we pulled it off. I had fun. Of course, I was one of the guys with a water gun that you helped fill. A belated thank-you. Don't worry, darling, we'll do well next year, IGLA or not. DCAC always manages to pull something together!