Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Oiii, my people!!!


At first today had little to blog about, there is always the anniversary, but many have talked about it much better than I could. I tend to be too corny when talking about grandiose topics and feelings, just ask the Argentine, which by the way is still away, but he is coming back soon. Alas, I found a story of great interest, I must warn you it is in Spanish, but I will translate the gist of it. A Mexican couple named their child Yahoo, as in the search agent, I think they used its’ personals to meet, or something. The article just mentions that they insisted on calling the kid Yahoo, even if the people at the civil registry – in Mexico, when you are born, you go to the Civil Registry and register the child, that is the law, I am not sure how it is done North of the border – warned them of the psychological harm they child would come to as he grew up and went to school. Apparently in the same jurisdiction an “environmentalist” couple called their children Tree, Arbol in Spanish. Funny huh, well those are my people, what can I say, I have heard worse, such as boys called USMAIL, or girls called Lady Di, can you imagine, a cute little Mexican girl called Lady?

So what are there some funny names you know? Do you think people can be scared by the name their parents give them? I think so, that is why people should use good Christian names, when they have good Christian Last names, and to my peoples everywhere in this country, please, please, please stop calling people Brian when their last names will be Gonzalez or Perez.

Have a good day,,, stepping off my classist soap box.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's impossible to be a modern American without noting the creativity of our African-American colleague's names. Some of my faves:

Chiquita and Valencia, twin sisters when I was growing up (evidentlt their parents liked fruit).

Female, pronounced fa-ma-lay, because that's what the newborn baby's wrist ID said.

T'Shanna. Imagine having a punctuation mark as an integral part of one's name. Sort of like Catherine de' Medici. But not really.

Madison. This one affects white girls. Its derivation is the movie Splash, in which Darryl Hannah's mermaid character, when asked what her name is, looks frantically around her (in NYC) and sees a sign for Madison Avenue. Apparently people liked the movie and the name.

The Hubby's favorite (back to black America) is the girl named for the residual fecal matter ("Macumba" or something like that) which accompanies a birth. Apparently the nurse mentioned the word shortly after the baby was born, and the mother thought it sounded pretty.

So, in short, I don't think your people are particularly more bizarre than ours. Plus, to the extent that they may be, let's face it, WASP names (especially for men) can be so dull!

Healthy Living said...

"Meconium" is the fecal matter you speak of. i'd think of it more as a boys name. if it WERE a name. i once was invovled in the care of an infant named "Michelin", after the tires. "Yahoo" was slang for a stupid person when i was growing up, as in, "you are such a yahoo for trying to name your kid meconium".