Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Vegan and drinks

I will start by saying that I am not a vegetarian, never been, probably never will, but I am open to try anything, at least once. Last night, the coworkers took me out to Gobo, a strict vegetarian place in the East Village, where there was not even butter to spread on the bread. The location is beautiful, an open kitchen, a long communal table in the center and sets of tables all around. The restaurant is all in blond wood, and the china is Asian inspired. One of those places with real pretty silverware.

But enough of the decor, we reviewed the wine list and chose a Spanish White, Albarinio, from North Western Spain and ordered 5 small dishes to share. And they were all very good, the best of all a set of soy cutlets grilled in a teriyaki sauce. They were yummy, I mean they were "meat like", they were crispy, they sauce was not too sweet. Just perfect. Then we also had some spinach dumplings, that were terrific and some fried rolls all using tofu or soy one way or another. Finally, I had order sweet potato and yuka fries - I was good and did not eat them all, actually was too full so only had 1/4 of the order - but they were perfect. Crispy and not greasy, just perfect. Then the coworkers guilted me about eating fries, and hence my good behavior.

After Gobo we visited a couple of bars in the Village, I sticked to water until we stumbled upon this little bar, Massif Central, a charming little restaurant with a terrific bartender who made the most complicated cocktails I have ever had. There I had a Barbelle, a champagne cocktail, with bitters, and different citrus juices, raspberry liquor, too many ingredients too mention, but it was one of those drinks that is pretty to look at and great to drink. So that was my evening, NYC, like the Argentinian says has the best restaurants in America because there is a culture around food, and enough people and money to keep all these unique 40 people places running. Coming from DC, where we rarely eat out of the norm, last night was refreshing and exciting.

No comments: