Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Comfort (er)


This weekend I got my Christmas present, and it sounds boring but I love it, a real comforter. By real, I mean real, with goose feathers and all that. It was a gift from the Argentine, who had a vested interesting in the comforter situation, and who has a nack for comfort.

For years I had had this IKEA comforter, I got it when I first moved here and having never lived in a land where comforters were needed, well I thought that it was ok. I do not remember what it’s price was at the time, and I do not remember what it was made of. I am sure it was synthetic, and hypo allergenic, but that was it. It was a functional piece, and it worked for 7 years.

Then I started dating the Argentine, and he has a very nice comforter (Polo me thinks) and from the first time I slept under it, I realized how much lighter it was. As time went by, I started noticing the weight of my comforter and how it was not soft, it was not rough, not at all, but it had no volume, and you could see the quilting, even when it was covered. As the move details were discussed I mentioned my intention to get a new comforter, but that was the end of the discussion. Last week as we were looking around, we found one that we liked (for more details go here) and the Argentine made the purchase. We tried it this Sunday, and it is heavenly. Light and warm, it floats above one, and it manages to be cloud like even as it keeps one warm . I am not sure how I spent all these years with a fake one, it almost makes me mad.

Of course there is a problem now, I need to figure out what to get him for Christmas. Like him I believe in useful gifts. There is nothing I dislike more than a gift I do not like, or that I can not make use of. The obvious choice for him is something from the kitchen, but trusts me, he has it all. There is not a lot I can buy he doesn’t already have. A Viking range is out of the question, since we are renting, but trust me I have thought about that. Any one has any ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kitchen gadgets don't seem good to me. Not only does he already have everything, but it sends the subtle message--"Cook for me"--which causes ambiguity as to exactly for whom the gift really is.

Maybe more beddings? Maybe a gift certificate at a bookstore (try Candida's at 14th & Q -- help keep a local in business!)? He seems to read a lot.

Based on his most recent blog, though, it seems like a good gift would be NOT making him see chick flicks with you! Let him off the hook for the Jane Austen Book Club (god, it gives me the creeps just thinking about all that estrogen!) and a home-made "gift certificate" allowing him a no-explanation-required pass on any movie for all of 2008.

Anonymous said...

Depende del presupuesto!

Baume et Mercier (el modelo mas basico no es taaan caro). Casimir. Un abrigo. Algo que le dure muuucho tiempo.

-Moi