Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The good, the bad and the ugly

This week the big gay film festival is in town, well, more like the gays are at the Lincoln theater for gay movies. As usual I got a pass, so that I can see as many movies as I want, and not have to deal with the buying tickets, getting in late, and fighting the desire to watch movie, when you have a pass you just go in and watch, you pay, but the hassle diminish and because you have paid you tend to go more often. Anyway, even if you do not go, you feel good because you have given a donation to a decent gay organization – One in Ten.

The big problem with the festival is that the movies tend to be of three types: the good (very scarce), the bad (plentiful) and finally the ugly (depends on the country making the movie and your appreciation of the film in question). Sometimes there are movies that are good and ugly, or bad and ugly, and then there are the good and bad, which means they had some terrific parts and some horrible parts, and you can not make your mind weather the bad was bad enough to hate the movie, or just enough to make you appreciate the few scenes worth watching.

So far I have seen 5 movies and here is the score:

Shortbus – good and bad, I was not complete taken by it.

Boy Culture – bad, bad, bad

C.R.A.Z.Y – good, definitely good.

20 Centimeters – good and ugly, a good movie about a horrible situation, the director made no effort to pretty the reality at all, except for the musical numbers.

Mother Nature – good and bad, had some good looking people and a semi decent story line, but that was it, too crowded, too many subplots and twists and turns and distractions.

Finally last night I watch Divided Sky, it was a Mexican movie and I was not hopeful, but I was interested to see how gay life was portrayed in Mexico City with a Mexican crew and production team. This was a bad and ugly movie. Slow, and with very little dialogue, the story line was not rich enough to keep a 2 hr 15 minute feature running and the actors were not bad, but I never had any buy in, maybe I was never 18 and in love, but I never got it. They never talked! And then there was a narrator that would do voice-overs, where he would explain the emotions the characters felt. The music was not good, and the boys were not that attractive.

I was planning on boring you with reviews of all the movies, but I am completely uninspired today. I am still sick, but I came to work anyway. Today is the Project Rungay finale; I have my dress ready so lets see what everyone else comes up with, can.not.wait.

No comments: