Wednesday, October 11, 2006

More adventures in Grocery Shopping

NB. The first three paragraphs of the post were written yesterday they last one was written today.

Eating healthy is a goal, a necessity and part of my routine, or so I like to think. Of course there are always days when I fall of the wagon and have some Oreo cookies – or cukis, like I say – or some fries, or a second helping of something or other. But mostly I stay honest. To stay honest I need to get good groceries and to get good groceries I need to go to Whole foods. Any reader of mine knows, I am huge fan of Whole foods, the Diplomat always makes fun of me for going there, but I love the layout, the fact that it’s a small market and that I find almost everything I need there. I have to confess that I will buy paper towels, detergent toothbrushes and all that at the regular supermarket, because I do not like the cleaning and miscellaneous organic products.

Because the weekend was, well hectic, I ended up with no food at home, none whatsoever, and yesterday when I got home the only thing edible in my fridge was a wedge of Manchego. Today I went to Wholefoods while on my lunch break and got the usual, coffee, tomatoes, bananas, apples, the very staples of any house, things that keep for a week and that can be part of snacks or meals. The only extravagance in my list was coffee, and that was because I tried this new Mexican Coffee from Oaxaca. But other than that, I did not get anything expensive, such as wine, or dessert or prosciutto or anything. Well I paid 90 bucks, yes 90 bucks for 4 small bags of groceries. I mean who can pay those prices ? Apparently everyone in this area –the market was packed with gays, yuppies, hippies and soccer moms, but not me. The tomatoes alone were $ 9.64, that a whole meal in Mexico City!

No wonder people are obese, if you choose all the unhealthy foods and go out and eat processed food you could get the same amount of meals I got for half the price, but of course you get thrice the calories. What is a fatty to do? I am already in a battle with my metabolism should I just stop based on prices? I do not think so. Anyway I am not planning on changing my purchasing plans, unless I go back to an office closer to a better regular market, but damn my wallet is in shock.

Jump 12 hours for me, and today (Wednesday) I open the bag of carrots I bought yesterday and as usual, they were soaked. That is not necessarily a problem, but they were beginning to rot. Half the carrots were beginning to have a funny smell or a slimy feel which makes me gag – not the only thing that makes me gag – and I had to through them out. Arggghhhhh I hate throwing food out, but what was I to do eat rotten vegetables? So the only solution will be to follow the Scientist advice and get the non pealed carrots and chop a few every day, sigh. I guess I just figured what my lunch errand will be today.

2 comments:

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

I hate when carrots do that. ick. it is a struggle, I feel your pain. I eat well, then eat chocolate. And I have real trouble with my portion control.

My friend Katrina blogged about you...

http://lovemidlife.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh my Mexican Dolly Parton

what should one do when six medium, non-organic tomatoes cost over $7 at wegmans? thats $1+/tomato!
just to think that the same tomatoes would be $3 at the korean market half-mile away makes me sick

aaaanyways - could you please stop
calling yourself a whale? it really puts the pressure on us, the real fat people

yours truly
-soccer mama