Monday, October 16, 2006

Welcome to my un-pc world

What do you do when a friend of yours goes to a dinner party with you, and gets mad at un pc comments made by you and others and goes quiet all of sudden. What do you do when you give said friend a ride home, and he says nothing? For once I have decided to do nothing. There is nothing I can apologize for, nor there anything that was personal or even wrong – in my view – that happened. I guess I should just write about what happened and let you make up your mind.

Yesterday a lovely dinner was had at the architect’s house, with a very interesting group of people, I guess mostly singles – except for the couple hosting the party – and with a majority of non swimmers. The conversation flowed in all directions, but as usual the conversation took a turn towards crime, and I mentioned that what the city need sis ruthless police work, and the rest of the guests chimed in. No, for once I was neither the most outspoken nor the harshest – people change I guess – but as soon as the subject was dealt with, my friend quieted down. I just knew that his ultra-liberal self had been insulted, and I wanted to apologize but he is the one person that this happens repeatedly with. The dinner party continued and we left and that was when I truly felt it, but for once I decided not to apologize, not to take the blunt of responsibility, I realized that I can not carry a dinner party on my shoulders, specially when I was flirting with the boy on my left.

And now is when I get to do my little tirade, because of all the people in the world, I find those overeducated liberals that are always fighting the lost causes a little bit off, like not grounded on reality. Unfortunately my friend is one of those, with a bachelor’s from and Ivy League School in Boston and a PhD from another one, he hardly counts as one of the many oppressed by the American system. I have to recognize that yes, he is a gay man, and a minority, but he grew up in San Francisco and has had many, many opportunities. So please do not come and get offended when crime is discussed and people that have been mugged or know personally of people that have been attacked, are well, not willing to give people a pass.

Breath in, breath out, end of rant!

It was a fabulous weekend, watched four movies; one was terrible the other three went from excellent to good.

PS. Do not tell the Diplomat, but my legs hurt, I made the mistake of doing legs Saturday before the movies and I did not stretch. Can you say Lactic acid?

6 comments:

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

As a bleeding heart overeducated liberal who has led an easy life, I will disagree with you- more policing is the not answer. I think it happens at a deeper level- reducing poverty, race issues, health care, etc. It's easy as a Canadian to see how these fundamental shifts in ideology make a difference. However I appreciate how hard it is to make these changes; fund something now at some obscene amount and you won't see a difference for a generation. How so you sell that and still get elected? But I see the value in short term immediate changes like more police on the street.

wonks said...

Sorry, I really have nothing constructive to say, except that your post made me angry and sad.

--bleeding heart liberal

Anonymous said...

There is a place in the world where crime is virtually non-existent, Singapore. They have the right idea, corporal punishment. There are a few people in this city that could use a good caning.

wonks said...

So, anonymous, why are you anonymous? Speak your mind and show your face.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

How was the food?

Knitter said...

The food was good, pasta and a salad and even ice-cream. Yummy !!!