Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Almost done

Merry Christmas readers, hope all is well. I am at home, in Mexico City, enjoying a balmy 19 degrees, so yes its cold, quite cold for Mexico. But it is the day after Christmas and I am done with the two administrative things I needed to get done here, getting my work visa done and renewing my passport. The first one was a sad reminder of the difficulties in the relationship between Mexico and the US, and my personal relationship with my chosen place of residence. Yes it is sad, but I have never felt more violated, in the sense that I had to wait for 4 hours to pay 100 USD and get a visa. Yes I know that is the process, and I am happy in the DC and all that, but when a consulate anywhere in the world puts you through a 5 hour process just to renew a visa, well it pisses you off. But I am done and I am trying to focus on the positive.

Mexico is cold but beautiful, a huge city which plays to my main advantage I love to plan ahead, and in this city, if you do not plan ahead you get nothing done because the distances are so big that one needs to arrange for transportation. So far I have not managed to send the belated Christmas cards, or bought some gifts, but I saw my friends from college and my family.

I was planning on writing this long essay on immigration and stuff, but after getting some lunch and sitting for a bit I have decided that it is not worth it, I just wanted to wish everyone the best for New Years, I hope you all enjoy the reminder of the year and I will see you all back in Washington next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of our government's continued harassment. But what's to be done? In any case, we miss you. We're confident that you'll return "in a crimson blaze of glory" (to quote Miss Firecracker) and therefore leave the nastiness behind!
Cheers.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Happy New Year, friend!