Friday, January 05, 2007

Where is Winter?

Ok, I am back, back, as in back in DC. I know, I have used the word back way too many times in the first line of the paragraph already, but that is me. So I had a great time back home, ate my way through the holidays and now I need to get back on the healthy bandwagon, nothing a week at the gym will not take care off. Otherwise the trip was fabulous; I saw old friends and family. Did some good shopping and even managed to write my January Cards, yes a new tradition I came up with, I call it send something in the month when people really need to know you care. So I sent cards to the people who sent me cards, and decided to not worry about the rest and politics and all those nasty things. But I managed to do that and I posted them today from here, cuz they will arrive sooner.

The only problem in the trip was that my allergies acted up and I have been high on Claritin for 2 weeks now and even here I am feeling groggy and constipated. I came to the office to no have to ask for vacation and to post and create some cool play lists and not feel out of the loop. As you can see my life is complicate, LOL. The other issue I have had lately – ravishing news I am telling you, I know – is that my sleep cycle is all messed up, for some reason the vacation, the nerves about traveling, getting a visa and a new passport and coming back, or what but I have not slept well in like a 4 days. I just stared at the ceiling and wait for sleep to come visit, but he resists. I might have to get ambian or something to help, but maybe this weekend as things come back to normalcy my body will adjust to its usual schedule. Falling asleep at 1:30 am and waking up at 6:30 is not fun. But those are my only two problems, so I guess I am good to go, the year is new and as most people I have some sort of resolutions.

I should phrase this better, they are not resolutions they are “goals” or “directives”. A lot of people do not believe in them, but I think that they are useful; they remind me of where I want to be and how I am planning on getting there. When I was a kid we would write down all 12 resolutions, as a child it was hard coming up with 12 things to do, but each year the same ritual would happen, we would check last year’s and see what we managed to accomplish (not much I assume, I can’t remember) and what we did not. I do remember feeling like it was a waste of time. At some point we changed from 12 to 6 and finally 7 years ago we came up with a new system we set 5 goals, 1 is the primary one the rest are secondary. This has worked, there are many ways to achieve them, but keeping them in mind helps, hence the need to set them in paper and remember what they are through the year. The key in my mind is to choose something one can really work on, not continue working, or making loads of money or loose 100 pounds, when you only need to loose 10 like me (ok maybe 7, or then again after the holidays, its more like 12), but something one can target. Because I know y’all are dying to know what I am going to tell you. I have decided this is the year of Positive thinking. Yep, this is the year when self deprecation and pity parties will have to stop or at the very least diminish. The more I thought about, talked about it to people as varied as the Diplomat, the Scientist and my Sister, I made the decision to well, change my inner language and the way I see/describe myself to my mind, hey its worth a try right ?

And finally, where the hell is winter? I leave for 2 weeks and when I come back it feels like spring, seriously people, what happened? It was much, much colder in Mexico City, I am talking 19 degrees, I felt like a character out of a Dickens’s novel emailing people with my mittens on and sweater over my shoulders.

Hope you all had a great New Year’s, all my best wishes for this 2007

No comments: