Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Volver


I know it comes as no surprise that I like Almodovar, and his movies. To me they are a world that is close by, the world of Spanish women and their idiosyncrasies. I love his descriptions, the way that world he puts on the screen at times real and at time fantastical, blends together to give you a sense that reality is more than what it appeared before you went into the theater. Also there is the way he can finds humor and dignity in the most tragic and macabre circumstances. So go see Volver, it is not his best picture, by any means, but it is a great movie, the characters feel real and the situation at hand, goes from murder to chuckles in 5 seconds.

I have to agree with the Canuck that Volver is not his best movie, in my opinion his best movie is “All about my mother” and from an artistic point of view, “Talk to her” was jarring and beautiful all at once, but disturbing in the way only European moves can be.

So if you like movies, and you enjoy ensemble pieces, where it takes 6 extraordinary women to tell a story, go get your tickets now. If you do not understand the female universe, and want to see a less biased story, then skip it. Hopefully his next movie will be a comedy –comedy again.

PS. Can you tell I am in training and I had to can all these posts? LOL will post live again next Monday when I get back in the office.

3 comments:

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

I have not seen All About My Mother. for me his halcyon days are the camp of Women on a Verge, or High Heels. But it is neat to see him mature as a filmaker and deal with real issues through the filter of strong Spanish women.

Eternally Recovering said...

Volver is/was one of my fav films of 2006...LOVED IT! (Especially loved the inclusion of Saint Etienne's 'Good Thing' toward the end of the film...I think it played at the filmm crews 'wrap party'!) LOVE PEDRO A!!!

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I too really loved Volver. I liked what you said about his movies giving you a sense of reality you weren't aware of before you entered the theater.