Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Not all is bad


Picture this, a modern homosexual pondering what to wear at 7:00 am in the morning. He has just showered and the day before he had experienced the discomfort of thermal underwear and pants all at once. He goes through the wardrobe and remembers a pair of wool slacks ideal for chilly weather. He also remembers that they are size 30. Mmmmm, he says, will I fit in them? There is only one way of knowing. Our modern fag, tries them on and against all predictions, they … fit!

Once that first challenge has been conquered our hero, proceeds to assemble an outfit that can from office to dinner with the chisel crew, prepares breakfast (coffee, bagel, cottage cheese and a banana), packs his multiple bags – the work bag and the gym bag – ties his red scarf and puts on the hat that matches and leaves his house. He drives through the rolling and conservative hills of Virginia and without much peril gets to the post office where he sends his mother some pictures from the last family trip and then even arrives at the office 10 minutes before he expected.

Sometimes, life can be good, if not good, at least good enough to remind is that it’s the little things. Like when the knitting book came in last week, or the fact that I still fit into size 30, or finding those extra 10 dollars on the jacket you wore last weekend.

This does not mean that I am going to turn into a hallmark gay, that repeats happy thoughts or meaningless quotes and seems to smile in the face of defeat – read the previous post – but I have to put on a brave face and smile don’t I.

Of course this frame of mind might be a result of the chocolate I had last night after swimming. It was one of those horrendous practices when neither my mind, nor my body gets into swimming, so I just followed and did my thing but did not get a real workout. By the time I was home and ready for bed, I had eaten half a chocolate bar, the Icelandic bitter one (70% cacao) , and promptly fell asleep at 11:30.

1 comment:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Bravo for getting through the swim workout - nothing worse than forcing yourself through the practice. You deserve the chocolate.