Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Notes from the first day

Sunday, 10:00 pm, Atlanta International Airport, yes dear readers this is as close to the real thing as it is going to get for the first week, since I am not sure the extent of my internet access at work. Today is my first day as a “road warrior”, One of those nerds with a laptop in a gate waiting for a plane. I am tired because of the meet and even if I am satisfied with my results – more on this later – I still wanted a better meet, in any case I got what I got and I managed to swim a ton, but I am paying for it now, when I have another two hours of waiting before getting to Charlotte and then a 1 hr drive to my final destination. I might just stay the night in Charlotte and then drive off in the morning, but we shall see how I feel when I get there.
The airport is packed; I was expecting an empty place, but no. Families, members of the military, people traveling alone and people in packs milling around the terminal. All the stores are open, and there are many, many fast food restaurants to choose from and TV’s everywhere all over the place. Its like CNN has me on its grasp and will not let me leave. The stories are inane, more on the Ana Nicole burial, something about someone giving toddlers pot to smoke and some missing person somewhere. Ohh and just right now Ann Coulter called John Edwards a faggot or something like that. Sheeesh, well I am out, I tried to connect to the wireless network here but it costs $4.95 to get on, and I do not think that this post is worth that much, so will try and post when I get to Charlotte or Wilkesboro.

Ok, so this post was written before I arrived here, I drove 1.5 hours and got in really late as you all know from the previous post, but I did it. The office is interesting, the team is fun and the environment is very positive – not something this jaded queen is used to. So far so good, I am sure I will be a bit bored after 3 days, but for instance yesterday I read 100 pages of the book we are reading just on the plain, and now I have 150 more to go. I also did a bit of knitting, but the flights were crowded and it was hard to do.

The first day is hard, it has been hard, I am sleepy and tired and getting used to the new environment and at a loss for words or things to do. I will stay at the office until 6, and then what ? I need to sleep, so I am going to go grocery shopping and then go check the Y, and then I am not sure. That is it for now, will post some more later this week.

Ohhh, and Happy belated b’day skinny !!!

2 comments:

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

chisel at the Y. Oh YEAH.

d-town said...

ah wilkesboro, NC. i drove through there once during college from winston salem to boone. i also had to go there once for work, myself, for a meeting at lowe's headquarters. hopefully it was/is a peaceful break from the madness of the city.

atlanta's airport is always a zoo, it has more passenger traffic than any other airport in the world, oddly enough. though i'd still deal with it any day over dulles. blech!