Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Harry Potter and the Wilkes Y


Tuesday night, well more like early evening I made myself go to the Y. There was nothing to do anyway, and the show I wanted to see, Damages, was not on until 10 pm. I left the office, went and had some horrible passport pictures taken, and finally the gym. I get on the elliptical and run for an hour – at this time I do realize that yes, GCC I should be lifting weights not just doing cardio, but at this time I am so out of shape I need to start somewhere – and I let me mind roam.
• There they are the cute little twinks – if they are straight are they twinks? – That think they rule the gym. Its cute they come in all shapes and sizes, there are the clean cut ones, and the tattooed all bad ass ones.
• There is the military guy
• Over there are the little girls, also knows and the groupies of the twinks, they are trying to use the machines, to not much success.
• Finally something that grabs my attention, this woman reading on the bike in front of me, it’s a big book – one of those hard covers with probably 800 pages – she is in page 253, I can see she is right in front of me. Then I see what king of typography it is, I also notice the yellow and red in the dust cover and realize she is reading “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”. Imagine that, someone reading J.K. Rowling in Wilkesboro, I mean this upright Christian town, some one is reading witchcraft in public. I took my headphones off and asked about the book, she has read all previous books and she was really enjoying this one. I asked for no spoilers, but felt so happy to have a token Potter spirit here.

Then my mind wandered off, again, thinking I should stretch and after 58 minutes I decided enough was enough. I went over to the free weight area and stretched for 10 minutes or so, and then skipped to the hotel, where I proceeded to eat dinner and knit my way through Damages. It is a good show, but I guess I will have to watch the next episode to see if I really like it.
How exciting is my life eh ?

1 comment:

Healthy Living said...

Good job, going to the gym. And also, those small southern towns can fool you. I have spent a lot of time in them, having grown up there, and while there are not a lot of people outside mainstream, the ones that are, tend to be pretty interesting. Don't let GCITC guilt trip you (or your conception of how he might, in your own mind, let you guilt trip yourself) for not having the "perfect" workout. Whatever. you showed up, you should feel good about the effort. If only I took my own advice. I gained, like, 15 lbs and feel like hell.