Monday, August 13, 2007

It finally happened


After some time of really good luck traveling, last Thursday for the first time my flight was canceled and I had to stay over night in Greensboro, to wait for a flight to take me to the DC in the morning. This is a fact of life for us traveling consultants, it is difficult to swallow and a pain in the ass, but so far I had been lucky, last week I was not.

It all started with thunderstorms, which plague the East Coast, but the day here and in DC was ok, but of course it is between here and DC that the problem was. I got to the airport at 5:30 as usual and the flight as “on-time”, I was happy because some of the other flights had been canceled. At 6:20, the flight goes from “on-time” to canceled, with no explanation from the airline, I was fighting the desire to eat some donuts – the new temptation in the airport is the Dunkin Donuts shop. I walk to the booth, and they tell me they had to cancel it, because the 4:40 flight had not departed, so they were going to put us on that flight which was supposed to leave at 7:15. I crossed my fingers and went to the bar and had a G&T while we waited.

At 7:15 we walk up to the counter and we ask what time we would board, they said they had no idea, and told us to come back at 8. We went in search for something to eat, all we found was pizza and some sandwiches, and we chose the sandwiches and read for a bit. Finally at 8 they said we had not been given permission to leave the airport, and they would have an update at 9. Back to the Bar it was, where I had another G&T while watching the Galaxy play DC United, yep, at least I was reading “A woman of independent means”.

Again we go to the desk and they tell us that there is no update, that there will be an update at 10 pm. I am getting antsy, and I call the nearby airport Marriott to check if tey have rooms, they have, but if I make a reservation for the night I can not cancel, and would be charge the rate of $179. So I said thanks, but no thanks, will wait to make sure the flight is canceled. At this point the bar closed, so it’s me and the book in an airport where there was nothing else but disgruntled passengers.

This time at 10, I was seated by the information desk and they said they had no announcements, that they would have some decision made at 11 pm. At this point I was just tired and hungry. I told the attendant to book me on the morning flight just in case this was canceled. I called the hotel again to make sure they had free rooms, and waited. Finally at 10:45, they announce the flight is cancelled. My one grievous question is why not cancel it at 9 pm? DCA was closed, there was no point in keeping us waiting. Pfffff, anyway off to the hotel I went where I finally was able to fall asleep at 1 am and woke up at 5 to be at the airport at 5:30, to catch my 6:30 flight.

The joys of traveling …

1 comment:

Healthy Living said...

traveling is so hard in terms of eating well, because there are basically, so few good choices, and often, NO good choices. Plus, your donut remarks make me realize that like ME, you are an emotional eater: ie, eat when you need some comfort, or if things aren't going well, or even, as a celebration, perhaps? that sucks, and the customer is basically always wrong these days it seems,e sp where airlines are concerned.