Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Dirty Little Secrets


These are some of things I have learned during my time “on the beach”

• All those people that say come in at 7 and leave at 3, are lying, they come in at quarter of 8 at best, or 8:30, and then still leave at 3. I observe that on the rare occasions I come in at 8 and happen to be the first person at the office.

• No one really cares, you show up, talk to people, send some emails, and no one really cares.

• All office building delis are horrid places with even more horrid food.

• There is nothing better than a 1.5 hour lunch break, to make you sleepy and non productive, but at the same time, if you eat in 20 minutes, you are not going to be more productive or engaged.

• Best time to buy groceries, at 2 after the lunch crowd, you can even do cart wheels in the store! And all the shelves are restocked and there are no, absolutely no lines.

• The New York Times is the best newspaper in the country, followed closely by our own Washington Post.

• Never write long emails, no one reads them. If you have a lot to say use bullet format that way when people come back with I did not know, you can just point at the list they clearly did not read.

K, now I have to go work…

1 comment:

Healthy Living said...

I am so SICK of long emails, I hope that people follow your lead and recommendations. I also would greatly like it if people stopped "replying to all" unless all really want to know. yesterday, there was an email from our office manager to the whole building (hundred of people) about a car parked illegally. the owner REPLIED to all that she would move it right away. I almost said, "well, your email response shows that you are used to taking up space needlessly, both by car parking and replying to all". but then, that would be bitchy.