Friday, November 09, 2007

That time of the year again


Like the anal retentive fag I am, I send Christmas cards, these year after a failed attempt at ordering in NY – they were too expensive – I visited “The Written Word” and bought 50 cards to start with (the list is made of 60 give or take between now and December when they are mailed). They are lovely cards (3 different motifs) all very minimal and in blue and silver hues. I liked them and best of all they were not as expensive as the beautiful Kate Spade ones I adored, but which came up to 3.50 a piece. Anyhow I went back home and put them aside, while I prepare the addresses of the people I need and I can actually get in the spirit of things and start writing Merry Christmases and Happy New Years and appreciations to all my friends and acquaintances. It takes time, but from experience I can tell that once you get going, it gets easier, and it is really helpful to start with the people you have the least to say, that way you get done with 20 or 25 in no time, and the fountain pen is writing just they way you like it. After this first batch, then the difficult ones start, cuz I like to write something, something that shows I really care and I am not just patting myself in the back for sending cards. So I never send cards with Best Wishes, Pablo, nah.

Well I am getting sidetracked here, yesterday I had to go buy a sympathy card on behalf of the swim team and I needed to buy a new fountain pen. I lost my old one. I like Lamy’s because they are sturdy, I like their medium nibs. Best of all they are cheap. So I found them and I bought myself a new one, and wanted to write a bit that night to get the pen going. I ended up at a store on L St, between 18th and Connecticut. I recommend it to everyone, they have a great service (the space is cramped) they had all kinds of pens and a huge Christmas Card selection. They had tons, and they had some beautiful ones. They also have some humorous, funny, modern ones. Aghh don’t you hate it when you have invested in something and 2 weeks later some better ones come your way. So frustrated, I know how ridiculous this is, I stress over the tiniest details, its one of my neurosis. But not to worry, since I need 10 more cards, I get to buy some of the new ones, and then I have to decide who gets what.

Ok, I think I have given away to much of my personality in this post, oh well.

No comments: