Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Throw it out !!!


This weekend as it has been already posted here, the Argentine and I, went through my closets and de-cluttered them. There were t-shirts from when I was 10 (I still fit in them, still being almost the same height), pants I no longer fit in (thanks North Carolina) sweaters and sweatshirts I no longer wear (thanks Consulting gig with little casual wear options), and papers, many papers and letters that had not been filed or shredded or anything. At first I was a bit apprehensive, being a pack-rat the whole process of sorting and getting rid of stuff always intimidates me, and having had a big enough apartment to just cart stuff into it, well I have not really had the need to get of things, there was/is always room to put something – except for the kitchen – but seeing how we are moving in together (see here and here) I really needed to get rid of stuff and make room.

Half way through the process, in between the laughs, the faces, the sorting and the mess, I realized how empowering the de-cluttering process would be. As the trash bags with clothes for Good Will got bigger, and the shredding of papers accelerated, and the space magically reappeared before my eyes, I felt better and better. It went to my head and I wanted to get rid of everything, we saw something I had not worn recently and I would say, lets get rid of it, but the Argentine would disagree and remind me that I need some clothes, I guess the hair on my back and chest not a shirt makes, ha,ha,ha (c’on laugh). The best part was when we got rid of these piece of furniture that had left behind by the previous dwellers of my apartment, and as we sorted through the crap in the little closet, and we finally disassembled, and took it out of the apartment, my little foyer became a foyer again.

The apartment is by no means ready for the move, but there is space in the closets. Some of the pieces of furniture are going to be sold and I am ready. I almost want the move to happen tomorrow, so that it is done with. Of course if the Argentine was to move in tomorrow, it would mean a very hurried Thanksgiving dinner, and I would be happy to do so, but I rather take my time. I am enjoying the cleaning process, and the making room process and the sorting and throwing out process. All these steps help my anal retentive mind assures me that we have made the right decision. The apartment is not this luxurious pad, but it is big enough, we will make it work.

PS. I could try and write something, about a little discussion that went on the Argentine’s site, but I for once will refrain. I am just going to say that I know it is the right decision.

No comments: