Friday, November 16, 2007

Carols on the 15th … ??


Yesterday as I drove back from the hinterlands, I was tired of stories on Iraq, the Presidential Campaign, inequality in America, etc. etc. So I changed the dial, and I was looking for some pop music to keep me company. Went to 107.3 but they had adds, try 99.5 they had some rap-hip-hop thingy that did not please me at all, finally I went to 97.1, the cheesiest radio station in town, but it was better than more on Hilary Clinton. All of sudden I start hearing something that could be a Christmas song, but could also just be the introduction to an old 80’s pop song. I wait and All I want for Christmas, played on. I was not dismayed, not was I revolted, I like carols and holiday music, at least as much as the next gay guy, but this early in the year? Thanksgiving is a week from yesterday, I would expect radio stations to wait at least another week, but no, no in DC, they had to go for it. My main complain with this early caroling is that by the time the Christmas comes around I am all caroled out. Back home the holiday music crazy is hardly as strong as here, first of all the Christmas Carols come in two versions, the old Spanish one, and the covers from Anglo-Saxon ones. Let’s just say that the later leave a lot to be desired off. So one week of old fashioned “Campanas de Belen” or the American standards were enough for me and the family.

No comments: