Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I do not want to go


2008 promises to be the year of the weddings, heck, 2007 ended with a wedding. But this year in the immediate future there are 3 weddings in my midst, two in Mexico one in San Antonio, yes I guess that is kind of sorta Mexico too. Two of these are organized by friends and one by my cousin; as a result I have to go to the cousin’s wedding, well that depends on immigration papers and other things, but shush, lets see how that works out.

Anyway, I feel really bad about saying this, but this is the only place I can put this in writing, as much as I like my friends and I do like them, I do not want to do go. Yes, a wedding, is a wedding, it’s a ritual nothing else (thanks Sondheim, for the lyric) and I have no desire to go to Mexico City or San Antonio for the matter, to attend a wedding where I know no one. It is not like weddings are the time when your friends, you do not see very often have time to talk and catch up, it’s the time, when your friends are getting married and they are all over the place thinking about everything, except the friends they invited to the wedding. Besides I do not even know any of the brides, so I am not going. The hard part for me is telling people I am not going to be able to make it. All of you rolling your eyes, you know who you are, stop right now, for me, it is hard to tell someone I am not going to be able to go to your party – mostly because I hate when people cancel on me. Anyway so here are the questions I have for all the brides and grooms of the world that as soon as they have a set date, decide to turn the pages in their old address books and invite you to a wedding:

- Do you really think people have the money to travel to 3 different destinations each in one year for your wedding? NO
- Do you really think that friends – that are very dear – who have not met your significant other or any of your new friends want to go to a party where they will know no one? NO
- Do you really think people are going to plan and use their vacation time (this is not Europe where people have 6 weeks vacation) around your wedding? NO
- Do you really think people will pay 400, because lets be honest, airfare + hotel + meals even if you are going inside the US, gets to 400 easily to attend a wedding and then have to send a present? No answer for this one

Anyway, I was thinking all these during spinning yesterday, and I have come up with plausible excuses for my two friends and now working on what I am going to tell Mom if I can not go to my cousins. But I have to say my redeeming quality, is that I will send presents, I will, I just wrote it down in my to do list.

PS. Been so busy the last 3 days that, it is just now that I am able to post something worth posting.

2 comments:

zero_b said...

This one is easy -

Friend in Mexico:
"My lawyer has strongly recommended that I don't leave the country because it could affect negatively my green card process".

In Texas:
"are you kidding me? it's Texas, they kill gay people!"

Cousin in Mexico (is it Carlos by the way?)
"You still owe me 600, bastard!"

-P.

Knitter said...

You killed me with that. ROFL.

All very valid, very valid responses.