Monday, October 09, 2006

My Feet hurt

After 1.5 hours of trimming, and shaving and plucking I was ready. I put my dress, globes, jewelry, nylons and shoes on a bag. I then got the makeup I already had and some extras just in case someone needed something else and headed out the door to pick the Diplomat and the Neighbor and take them to the drag house where we were all getting ready.

We got there at 4:30 and started applying makeup, this year I was determined not to let my five o’clock shadow show, well at least not let it show within an hour of shaving, so applied conceiler – not sure what the spelling is – then base then the rest. What a nightmare, putting the eye makeup is a pain in the …. Awful not sure how women do it every day. I could not at all. And even after I did you could see my shadow after several hours. But regardless the look was much more professional than last years Kelly Osborne pre-rehab do. Besides at the very last minute I got a coat, because the evening was going t be chilly, a fabulous fake fur coat I might add.

So two hours later we were all dolled up, literally not figuratively, and off we went to the Hilton on Connecticut. Lets just say that as in most gay events the more you go the more fun you have. I am not sure why that is, but for the first time in three years of going, I was able to enjoy it all, and I was not paying attention to the show. For those that do not know the Miss Adams Morgan is a beauty pageant with a talent portion that runs for three hours and there is not a lot of talent. But one has to give the girls credit for putting the show together. It is also funny how drag transforms people, it transforms me and even with no liquor on me, or very little, I was stone sober the entire evening, it gives you permission to let go and just have fun besides because we are all dressed up, there is no added pressure of meeting people or being attractive, or looking too fat too short or too ugly (that is for me, for the rest, well they have their own issues to resolve) but those are mine. Anyway fun was had by all, I saw old friends, made some new ones, mostly people who wanted to take my picture – I blame it on the hair, beautiful blond wig the approximate size of Pluto – or the great pink dress that made me look chic and sophisticated., or the heals which bring me to the subject of the post. How on earth do women do it? How someone tell me.

I wore these shoes: in gold, so do some imagination, no online pic of the gold, use your imaginations:



And they went very well with the dress and were comfortable to begin with, but later as the evening progressed and we walked from the hotel to JR’s, from JR’s to Annie’s, from Annie’s to my car and then home, they got increasingly painful. The more time passed the less I could walk. I was able to stand still no problem, but the walking. I tried everything, taking the shoes off that did not work, putting them back on, that didn’t work, small steps, big steps, different steps, nothing, nothing worked.

Yes there are pictures, but I need to do that at home, these are not pictures that can be downloaded at work, not with the cubes we have here where everyone can see into everyone else’s business. I leave you with the following image:

The last table at Annie’s, 10 tired and somewhat drunk guests sitting down for breakfast or dinner – what do you call the meal at 1 am?. When all of a sudden a lounge singer comes with her back up singers, after everyone has eaten and renditions of Carpenter songs are sung to the dismay or joy of the rest of the patrons.

1 comment:

Healthy Living said...

walking in heels: has two essential elements: balance and pain. the balance improves with practice. the pain, never leaves. you just learn to ignore it. my view is that most women are all basically about equally pretty. some women are just more willing to tolerate the pain than others, and those who can take the pain (of high heels, being hungry all the time, having their genitalia covered with hot wax in order rip hair out of their flesh) are just thought to be more beautiful. when i was young girl i asked my mom about all this crazy shit, and she said, and i quote "beauty hurts". the really bad news is, taht now taht i am middle aged, it hurts just to avoid looking way fat-nasty and gross=ugly. ps thanks for your comments on my blog.