Monday, July 30, 2007

I.can.not.put.it.down


Last Thursday I got the new Harry Potter book, and I have not been able to put the book down ever since. I got real busy Friday and Saturday but Sunday, I sat most of the day reading, yes me the ever on the run Mexican, literally sat down after brunch and read for 3 hours or more. It helped that the Argentine had made brunch and I was reading next to me, but it has been one of the first times in a while that I have been able to just sit and read. It is a great book, of course if you have not read the previous books I would suggest starting with book 1 or book 3, there are parts you can always skip, but starting with book 4 you have to read them all to understand the many challenges Harry, Hermione and Ron are facing from page 1.

I am not planning on giving anything away, but I do believe that it is amazing how this tale of “the boy who lived” has taken over the world. The main reason is that it is a great story, with characters that are likable, no adorable and real, we call in some way identify with one/several of the characters. The adventures are interesting, of course there is a lot of belief in them, and sometimes the writing gets a wee-bit corny, but at least for me, when I sit down and start reading any of these books, time flies. I am transported to a different place and I can not get enough. I am purposely reading this book slowly, because I want to savor it, to enjoy every page and every description.

Yesterday, in the Charlotte airport, I stopped at a pen store to get some ink for my fountain pen –yes, stop rolling your eyes, you all know I am terrible snob and yes I love writing with a fountain pen. I asked for the ink cartridges, and I put the book on the counter. The lady in the store, showed the color of the inks they had and then asked if I was enjoying the book, I told her I was, and that I could not put it down. She have me the two boxes, and said I read it last week and finished it in 5 days.

So here is to Miss Rowling who has managed to put a spell on the world.

2 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I wonder what all these people who are addicted to HP are going to do now.

Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

I thought it was pretty blah actually, maybe I am just tired of ole Harry?